The Great Wall of China
(Vạn Lý Trường Thành)
Some images and facts are courtesy from the following sources:
1upTravel, Encarta Encyclopedia and notes from
a book that I read several years ago and can not remember its title/author at this time.
- Two reasons inspiring me to write about the Great Wall of China(Vạn Lý Trường Thành):
- The ATV series produced in 1986 was so excellent, it left me too much mysteries and wonders about this famous landmarks. I consider it as the most monumental edifice ever reared by the hand of man! Tần Thủy Hoàng ordered the Wall built at any cost and drenched the land in blood.
- I will always be obsessed about The Great Wall of China until the
day that I can touch it and see it with my own eyes! Well, my husband
and I were having a debate of where to go for our honeymoon last year.
We narrowed down either Europe or China. We chose Europe, and I still
do not remember why (probably the weaker force lost the battle)!
- Amazing Great Wall facts:
- The Great Wall is a symbol of Chinese culture and civilization for more than
2,000 years. The wall has many corners and turns, but
if you straightened it out, it would be 1,000 feet LONGER than the
- The first section of the Great Wall took 10 years to build - at the
rate of about one mile per day.
- It's estimated that the cost, in modern terms, of the Great Wall
would be $260 billion, which would pay for roughly half of all annual
construction in U.S. Also, for every person building the Great Wall,
another six were needed to provide building materials and supplies.
Using satellite data, scientists have rediscovered more than 600 miles
of buried Wall in the past decade.
- Three million people--70 percent of China's population at the time--
was involved in building the Great Wall.
- It has been computed that the Great Wall contains enough
materials to build a barrier eight feet high and three feet thick,
completely encircling the globe at the Equator. Superimposed on
a map of the United States, the Great Wall would run from Philadelphia
to Topeka, Kansas.